Pain de Mie
Pain de Mie is a soft, slightly sweet bread with little crust that is ideal for sandwiches or toast. It is similar to Pullman or sandwich loaves.
Makes: 1 loaf
- Mix the milk and water in a bowl. Add the sugar and yeast, mix well and leave for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, potato starch and milk powder. Add the liquid and the melted butter. Mix to a smooth dough.
- Knead for about 10 minutes on a very lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough in a lightly-greased bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to allow the dough to approximately double in size.
- Turn the dough out, knock back and knead for 2 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a log and place in a greased 19cm x 10cm x 10cm (7½" x 4" x 4") Pain de Mie or Pullman loaf tin. Cover and allow the dough to rise until it almost reaches the top of the pan.
- Carefully slide the greased cover on the loaf tin and leave in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Bake at 150°C/300°F fan oven, 170°C/340°F normal oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool.
A lot of commercial sandwich bread is made using the technique of baking in a closed tin. One feature of this loaf is that is doesn't really have a crust. You can still bake this dough in a regular loaf tin and get a delicious bread, however it will have a crust.