This simple aloo paratha recipe will have you eating delicious aloo parathas in no time at all!
Makes: 6 parathas
For the Stuffing
- Rub together the flour, salt and butter in a large bowl to form a breadcrumby mixture. Add about 125 ml (4 fl oz) of water and mix to a firm-ish dough, adding more water if necessary.
- Knead for about 5 minutes, cover and leave to rest for a further 10 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the filling together in a bowl.
- Cut or break the dough into 6 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Place a ball on a floured surface, press to a disc then roll out to 2-3″ (5-7cm) in diameter.
- Place a ball of the stuffing mixture in the middle of the paratha. Fold up the sides to make a giant “dim sum”. Turn the paratha over and gently roll out to about 4-5″ (15-20 cm) diameter.
- Heat a flat pan over a medium heat. Put the paratha on the pan and cook for 30-40 seconds. Turn over and cook for about 1 minute on the other side.
- While the paratha is cooking on the second side brush it lightly with oil or melted butter/ghee. After you flip the paratha brush the other side with oil/ghee/butter.
- Continue to cook the paratha for a further 2-3 minutes, turning from time to time until the outside is brown and slightly crispy.
When rolling out the paratha don’t worry if stuffing creeps out from the edges.
Wipe the hot pan clean with a piece of kitchen roll between each paratha that you cook.